The School of Economic Science has its origins in the 1930s, against the background of severe economic depression. Its founder, Leon MacLaren, was inspired by the work of the nineteenth century economist Henry George. George held that everyone owns what they create, but that everything found in nature, most importantly land, belongs equally to all humanity.
In 1937, MacLaren founded the Henry George School of Economics, the first public courses being held in the same year with the active support of his father, Andrew MacLaren MP. The school was renamed the School of Economic Science in 1942.
Leon MacLaren continued to develop the courses in economics, writing ‘The Nature of Society’ as a textbook. The last chapter of this book reflects his search for something not altogether accessible within the realm of economics. This lead to an interest in philosophy – ‘the love of wisdom’ – as a means of gaining deeper insights into the natural laws governing humanity, and the origin of those laws.
After coming in contact with the Study Society in the early 50s, he discovered the teachings of Ouspensky and Gurdjieff. He was taken by the similarities between diagrams developed for the economics courses and those used by Ouspensky.
The first public courses in philosophy started in 1954, and within a few years philosophy became the central subject of study and practice within the School (economics courses have continued and there remains today a thriving economics faculty within the School).
The arrival of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in London in 1959 brought the next stage of development, meditation. This was soon taken up by longstanding students of the School and continues to be an important part of our teaching.
In the mid 60s, the School made contact with a leading figure of the Vedantic tradition in India, Maharaja Shri Shantananda Saraswati, from whom it received invaluable guidance in the study and practice of philosophy for over 30 years.
Through this connection, the School was introduced to the universal teaching known as Advaita, which means literally ‘universal’ or ‘without duality’. Since the Maharaja’s death in 1997, similar guidance has been provided by his successor, Shri Vasudevananda Saraswati.
The School has expanded geographically so that courses in philosophy, and sometimes other subjects, are now available through more than 40 branch locations in the UK. A number of associated overseas schools have also been established. Each is legally independent, but shares a common interest and bond through the same philosophical teaching.
The School bought Waterperry House and Gardens from Beatrice Havergal in 1971 and has used the house for retreats ever since.